Sunday, October 9, 2011

How I Died - In-Class Chainwriting

     I was running, running, and running. I could feel the wind whistling in my ears, the sharp pangs of pain running through my legs like electric shocks, and the stray branches and tall weeds around me whipping at my face. My heart felt like it was going to explode and I was gasping desperately for breath. And yet I kept running without ever looking back.
     I felt something chasing me and its speed grew faster and faster. I tumbled, rolled, and fell flat on my stomach, but I got up and ran faster. The whole place was closing in on me or was it just my imagination? Now I could feel the thing right next to me, but I didn't dare turn to look at it and just kept running. I was panting like a dog, but nothing seemed to stop my legs. Ouch! It grabbed my right arm and tried to pull it apart. The harder I tried to get free, the harder it grabbed me.
     "Yikes!" I shouted. Then it was quiet. Then I realized I had been dreaming. But the pain was real; it was still lingering on my right arm. I have often encountered this kind of dream since last winter, when cancer cells were first discovered in my limb. Since then, this room in the hospital has been my home and my laptop my best friend. From deep inside, I was deeply missing the world outside instead of the world inside the computer.
     I decided to sneak out of the hospital. I felt like all of the people were waiting for me to die. I was afraid I would disappear someday, having no memories or people to adore. I pulled out all the strings and cords that were attached to my body. I silently went through the half-closed door, and succeeded in reaching the stairs without being spotted by the nurses.
     I slowly crept down the stairs and out of the hospital. The outside air was not as cold as I expected it to be. In fact, I noticed that there was no air at all. I was suffocating. The medicine that was injected into me by my various tubes and chords was absent, and my body was feeling it. I could feel a bubbly foam coming out of my gaping mouth searching for air. I was pounding on my heart and then, I died. With no one to help me, with no one that loves me, with no one that cares for me, with no one standing by me.

3 comments:

  1. i have to admit that i feel guilty for contributing to the screwing up of this story

    ReplyDelete
  2. This started out really well and was even good up until the last paragraph. It's ALL well written, and yes indeed there are many things you can do with this. Dark and sad, there is still a story here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go read the metafiction now and see what happened.

    ReplyDelete